How to Gain Lean Bulk for the Skinny/Underweight Male
Guys who are skinny are skinny for either one of two reasons.
1. They are young, somewhat active, and still experiencing growth
2. Most skinny guys haven’t learned how to eat properly
Consuming food is easy, while consuming nutrients takes dedication.
Because most underweight males are at their weight due to lifestyle choices, we should focus on certain quick fixes to help gain some success and confidence. First I will discuss a few quick fixes, then I will relate the reasons why it is fundamental to create new eating habits.
Quick Fix# 1: Breakfast
This is simple and it should be happening at least 6 out of every 7 days. Sure I can speak for days as to how breakfast enhances human metabolic processes… but you just need to do it.
- Smoothies (berries / milk / protein)
- Oatmeal (milk / whey / almond butter or peanut butter / or coconut oil)
- Shake (fresh juices, vegetables, fruits, powders)
- Eggs + vegetables
- Many possibilities
Quick Fix# 2: Allow yourself a minimum of 20 minutes for breakfast
Okay, so the first two MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU CAN DO are both related to breakfast. That should give you a glimpse as to how extremely valuable this time is for your body.
You cannot rush through breakfast and expect to have healthy digestion and consumption.
Go to bed 20 minutes earlier the night before if you must.
Quick Fix# 3: Eat Big Carbs before / after workout
To gain muscle mass, you want to increase the energy storage within the muscle. Carbohydrates, particularly glucose or food that readily converts into glucose are the muscles preferred sources of energy.
As muscles adapt to training stimuli, the overall amount of glycogen stored within the muscle will be increased.
Let me put it this way: The more lean, athletic muscle you possess, the more carb-based energy will be stored within the muscles. This is one reason that gives the muscles a larger physical size/appearance. It also means you have the potential to be more powerful than most other people.
Quick Fix# 4: Consume Protein before / after workout
Protein contains bonds of amino acids which are essential for the body. Powerful body-strengthening mechanisms are activated by protein.
After your workout, your muscles will be increased sensitivity to uptaking carbohydrates and glucose. When the muscles uptake glucose more readily, it has a carryover effect of uptaking protein as well. In other words, carbs help attract muscle building amino acids into the actual muscle tissue.
Quick Fix# 5: Take Omega-3 Fatty Acid supplement
Some people eat Wild Alaskan Salmon three times per week — and they might not need an Omega-3 supplement. However, most people, especially skinny guys NEED the nutrients and will utilize Omega-3′s to support anabolic processes.
A lot of people talk about the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids — I know all about them. If you want to know more, google that. Let’s talk about the MUSCLE BUILDING and ANABOLIC properties that omega-3′s possess.
- Improved insulin sensitivity (translates to –> more protein/glucose IN your muscles)
- Joint lubrication (translates to –> less achy joints, quicker recovery time from exercise)
- Supports Inflammatory process (translates to –> inflammation is regulated to improve adaptation to exercise)
- Brain health (translates to –> you learn skills /exercise form quicker and can progress faster)
Gaining Lean Mass requires Lifestyle Alteration
Regardless of genes, your lifestyle is the reason for why your body looks the way it does. In order to enhance the muscularity of the body, you must also enhance the internal health.
I take a strong holistic approach towards gaining weight in a healthy way. You must pay attention to the bio-feedback and signals from your body in order to truly achieve a state of wellness.
A few things to consider during your journey:
- The role of gut health / bacteria in nearly all realms of human health condition
- Sleep and other cycles
- Hormones, how to optimize male / human hormones to exist in a muscle building state
- Stressors — your ability to adapt to everyday stress
- Coping strategies. Example… health = exercise. Unhealthy = smoking / drinking.
- Antioxidants and intracellular optimalization
Muscle mass must be earned, every day. every week. and every month.
The best things in life don’t come for free. The requirements to achieve greatness will always come with sacrifice and character building opportunities.
You can choose to make excuses… or you can force mental adaptation (lifestyle change).
Exercise: 3-4 hours per week
For the other 164 hours of the week, you need to be owning up to habits which promote healthy metabolic functioning. And in your case, that means forcing physical adaptation through recovery methods (sleep, nutrition, unstress, and soft tissue work).
Stay tuned for the next post for an Exercise Routine to help the skinny guy.