Green Superfood powders are #1 underrated fitness and fat loss supplement.
Everybody should know about Omega-3, Vitamin D, whey protein, etc by now but how many people are RAGING about green superfood powders? You should know about this, especially if you’re on a calorie restricted diet.
Green Superfood powders can be single ingredient or can be a combination of algae’s, young grasses, sprouted ingredients, and other herbs.
As much as I like the combination powders, for somebody like me who enjoys herbs etc in their purest forms, lately I have preferred simpler combinations or single ingredient powders. My reasoning for this is because after taking the single or double ingredient powders, I can listen to my body and feel how I respond to it. On the contrary, for mixed powders, you never know exactly what is really working for you and what’s not. More on that later.
List of common ingredients in SuperFood Powders:
- Green grasses such as Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Alfala Grass, and Oat Grass. (Note that these are all gluten free because they are young grasses, not grains).
- Algae’s such as Chlorella (my personal favorite for detox and nutrition), and Spirulina, also Kelp and Dulse.
- Root powders like Beet Root, Maca Root, Turmeric, and Ginger
- Vegetable powders like Tomato, Broccoli, Kale, Cabbage, etc. Your basic veggies (Rule of thumb: If I can buy it in whole food form, I will typically avoid the powder in order to encourage myself to eat the real food when available).
- Plant leaves & extracts like green tea extract, and many other herbs.
It’s all about the Micronutrients.
You may be familiar with Macronutrients and it is important to be aware of your macronutrient intake for sure. However, the micronutrients are essential for vital function at all cellular levels. While you don’t necessary need many of these particular nutrients to survive, you DO need them to thrive.
Calorie restricted diets MUST be nutrient dense to be the most effective.
If you are on a low calorie diet and you actually want to feel good and have decent health, energy levels, fitness, and progress, then you should consider increasing your micronutrients (antioxidants, phytonutrients, trace minerals).
Take a look at Chlorella for example.
I love Chlorella and am a huge fan. There is a lot of research on Asian populations on Chlorella supplementation compared to Western populations, but the literature is growing.
Benefits of Chlorella:
- Boost immune system
8-weeks of Chlorella intake in healthy Koreans increased the NK cell activity and produced INF-γ and IL-12 as well as IL-1β, the Th-1 cell-induced cytokines. In addition, changes in the NK cell activity positively correlated with those in the cytokines after the intervention. These results add to the growing literature on the beneficial immunostimulatory effect of Chlorella supplementation through a clinical human study.
- Increases markers of health / antioxidant status in smokers.
Supplementation with C. vulgaris extract significantly improves antioxidant status and attenuates lipid peroxidation in chronic cigarette smokers. Hence, [Chlorella] might prevent the disease burden and mortality rate associated with smoking.
- Significant detox effect. Chlorella is being researched as a chelator of heavy metals. In a study on mice:
Evidence that these protective effects of [Chlorella] are partly due to its chelating effect was given by the changes observed in blood lead levels. We have observed in the group receiving the CVE/lead simultaneous exposure a dramatic reduction of 66.03% in blood lead levels, when compared to lead-exposed nontreated control.
- Sidenote: Humans are exposed to far more heavy metals and toxins than we realize. They are in our consumer products and now in our environment. Our bodies will naturally detox, but some nutrients definitely support the process and mitigate the damage.
- “Beneficial effects of Chlorella on glucose and lipid metabolism in obese rodents on a high-fat diet“ Chlorella supports the processes involved in fat loss and healthy metabolism!
[Chlorella extract] inhibited the accumulation of visceral fat and serum TG. The study showed that [Chlorella] and [Chlorella extract] improve glucose and lipid metabolism disorders caused by a high-fat diet.
- “A review of recent clinical trials of the nutritional supplement Chlorella pyrenoidosa in the treatment of fibromyalgia, hypertension, and ulcerative colitis.”
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
For fibromyalgia patients, assessments of pain and overall quality of life. For hypertensive patients, measurements of sitting diastolic blood pressure and serum lipid levels. For patients with ulcerative colitis, determination of state of disease using the Disease Activity Index.
Daily dietary supplementation with chlorella may reduce high blood pressure, lower serum cholesterol levels, accelerate wound healing, and enhance immune functions.
The potential of chlorella to relieve symptoms, improve quality of life, and normalize body functions in patients with fibromyalgia, hypertension, or ulcerative colitis suggests that larger, more comprehensive clinical trials of chlorella are warranted.
- High in Vitamin B-12 and is great for people on a low or non-meat diet.
- Contains the most Chlorophyll which in itself is a significant antioxidant and life force booster.
- “Chlorella-derived multicomponent supplementation increases aerobic endurance capacity.”
In summary, the novel finding of this double-blinded, placebo-controlled, randomized, crossover study of young individuals was that Chlorella-derived multicomponent supplementation for 4 weeks increases VO2peak during incremental maximal cycling. This result suggests that Chlorella-derived multicomponent supplementation increases aerobic endurance capacity in young individuals.
And those are just some of the benefits of Chlorella! I haven’t even explored a fraction of the other SuperFood’s available.
You can see why I’m passionate about Chlorella and include it regularly in my morning routine. I notice the difference and that’s why I tell my friends about it. In fact, just today one of my friends went and bought it after we had a discussion about his fitness goals.
Find the highest quality Chlorella/Spirulina product here and don’t forget that using the links to make purchases will support the blog and never cost you a single additional cent. I promise that every purchase made through my Amazon affiliate links will be reinvested back into the blog for this entire year.