This article is about the benefits of not consuming alcohol on six of out seven days in the week.
Or never drinking. Here’s why.
You should have one drink or less so that you can make progress towards your fitness no matter what your age.
If you are making zero progress on your fitness goals the FIRST thing you should do is cut booze.
Does drinking alcohol have benefits?
Research indicates moderate consumption of alcohol may improve cardiovascular health.
- That doesn’t necessarily mean it burns fat.
- Moderate consumption means 1 serving of wine at a time.
- Cardiovascular health can be improved more effectively through other nutritional intervention (such as pomegranate, mangosteen, goji, or sea buckthorn fruit juices)
If you’re having trouble burning fat and if you’re drinking more than two drinks at a time in any consumption session, then that is the first thing you should drop in order to reach your goals.
IS alcohol holding you back from elite fitness?
Your body weight is related to your entire history of eating including what your mom fed you. It is also related to genetics, but really we can only control our habits if we are diligent and caring of our bodies. It’s not that you can change your genes, it’s that you can optimize your genes.
Seriously, keeping that DNA healthy is Anti-Aging 101 folks.
Step 1. Consume nutrient rich foods.
Step 2. Reduce toxins.
Step 3. Do an INTENSE workout.
Step 4. Recover and repeat with progression.
Check out this infographic:
Feeling better is a pretty cool part of fitness.
A very fit person on most occasion will be between 8-18% body-fat.
For guys, 10% body-fat or less is usually the threshold for a truly aesthetic midsection.
For gals… 12-16% is a great goal to aim for — because it is reserved for only the dedicated.
Alternative to Alcohol!?
I’m not saying don’t go out and enjoy some alcohol. We all respond differently to environments and I have known some people who can go to a bar and not even drink alcohol. Personally, I would feel very attracted to a cold beverage in a HOT environment and you know what I mean.
Drinks that have low alcohol or no alcohol:
- Kombucha – comes in many flavours, probiotic, gut health, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory.
- Ginger beer – (I would only drink if it contained actual ginger as opposed to just ginger flavoring) anti-inflammatory, possible gut health benefits which also contributes to inflammatory regulation.
- Maybe just avoid high risk situations – that means not spending time in the alcohol aisle, and to save your alcohol consumption for slow enjoyment, not binge drinking.
Find your reason and have your moment. If you can’t do that, at least you read this.
If you feel amazing with your life and you drink lots of alcohol — then by all means enjoy yourself. I’m not here to tell you what to do with your body, just to share this viewpoint that there are means available in which we can all work towards genuine wellness.
It’s not like I’m on this journey because it ever came easy to me. The struggle is real and for myself it’s personal. I’m not so much the guru as I am the one on the path next to you. Hopefully, it’s me… carrying the heavier load.