Most would agree: excess fat is not healthy.
But, would you believe that losing weight could potentially be bad for your health too?
The body fat stores on your thighs, abdominals, and glutes contain more than just energy reserves.
So what IS body fat and why is it dangerous?
We can all agree on this: body-fat is extra storage.
This storage has been responsible for the continuation of our species. Through war and famine, body-fat’s dense per/gram source of energy has kept our ancestors alive.
But the average American is not in war or in famine.
How Body-fat is Toxic
Pause and consider the cycle of obesity.
- Sweet, processed foods are cheap, convenient, and easy sources of calories.
- A snickers bar is easier to consume than raw broccoli.
- Young boy discovers snickers
- Then he rediscovers snickers everyday thereafter.
- Since candy and sweets are high-sugar and lacking nutrients, his genes are expressed poorly.
- The cells in his body are inefficient and unable to detoxify chemicals, pollution, and oxidation.
- Too many toxins in the system,
- Never enough nutrients for cellular protection.
- Body fat storage increases in order to push toxins away from lean mass.
- There are now lots of toxins stored up in his body-fat.
Understand that body-fat accumulation is due to nutrient deficiency. Excess body-fat is almost always caused by a lack of essential nutrients.
Since the body cannot run effectively on a bad diet, the stresses of the body are transfered into body-fat tissue to be dealt with later. Which means if that you want to actually burn fat, you need to consider the toxic effect of weight loss.
How to Lose Weight and NOT make your body worse:
For most of us, we need to focus less on calories and more on nutrients. Then, the pesky calories part takes care of itself.
In other words, Focus on Nutrients.
Since most people are deficient in multiple nutrients, here are some common solutions:
- Aim for 30 grams of fiber per day, ultimate colon, digestive, and immune system booster.
- 1-2 servings of red vegetables for Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant to ward off disease.
- 1-2 servings of broccoli/kale/cauliflower, lightly steamed, for Indole-3-Carbinol the cancer-fighter. (Add points for the fiber content)
- 1-2 servings of orange vegetables for Beta-Carotene, another powerful antioxidant that can also be converted into Vitamin A.
- 2-4 eggs per day for high quality protein, high quality dietary fat, antioxidants like lutein, and the egg is also a great source of the B family vitamin known as Choline. We need choline for cell membrane integrity, also very important for Pregnant Women (alongside Folic Acid)
- 1 serving of fish or wild meat. Aside from the high quality protein found in fish and game meat, there will also be high levels of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids. This is a common nutrient most people lack, and because most people don’t get enough omega-3, cardiovascular death is rampant. Omega-3’s protect the body from inflammation, and since body fat is inflammatory, Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids promote healthy weight loss.
- 1 serving of olive oil for antioxidants and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Have you noticed that olive oil is soothing on your skin? Just imagine how the cells inside your body benefit from olive oil.
- 1 serving of onions for potent bioflavanoids that boost the immune system and regulate blood sugar levels.
- 1 serving of Avocado for healthy unsaturated fats, dietary fiber, and cancer-fighting nutrients.
- 1 serving of traditional Korean Kimchi for high levels of Vitamin C, Live Enzymes, and Beneficial Probiotic Bacteria. Moreover, Kimchi boosts the immune system with red pepper and garlic.
- 2 servings of whole grains, brown rice, or pseudo-cereals like Quinoa. Great source of slow burning energy, fill you up-fiber, bulk of your diet, vitamins and minerals. Easy to mix with vegetables.
That may seem overwhelming, but my intention is to stimulate some creativity all around. I wouldn’t expect anyone to be able to eat all of this food starting tomorrow, but it is important to be aware of all the nutrients you could be lacking.
The more nutrient deficient you are, the more difficult it will be to get the body OR the health that you want.
Make losing-weight GOOD on you.
Healthy food can detoxify the fat and burn it into oblivion.
Imagine your fat melting off and revealing lean, toned muscle underneath.
It’s entirely possible.
Let your genes flourish and display positively. Seek nutrients first, and fat-loss will come.